12 tips to improve sleep and reduce skin ageing
Sleep is our opportunity to rest, rebuild, cleanse and recharge and experts say that we need at least 8 hours of quality sleep starting at 10pm or earlier.
If you get less than 6 hours sleep a night this can increase your chances of becoming seriously ill, becoming overweight, depressed, suffering from diabetes or cancer.
On the other hand, if you put effort into getting good sleep you will be repaid in many ways. Good quality sleep is anti-ageing, boosts the immune system, improves your ability to learn, aids in weight loss, produces happy hormones, promotes liver function and reduces your risk of heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
12 tips to improve your sleep:
- Develop a new nightly ritual and stick to it for 6 weeks
- Consider the senses
- Sight – dim lights, no computer screens, no violent TV, positive reading material
- Touch – pajamas, sheets, ideal temperature, hot bath
- Smell – aromatherapy
- Hearing – play music or visualisation CD
- Mind – pranayama or meditation
- Do high intensity yang exercise in the morning
- Do low intensity yin exercise after work to avoid adrenalin response
- Consider adrenal support
- Take EFA’s (essential fatty acids like the Bestow Beauty Oil), zinc and magnesium
- Avoid alcohol and drinks close to bed